Octopus Explorers – fun, science based activities for 6-8 year olds.
Sessions include: Crabs and lobsters, Beachcombing, SHARKS!, Turtles, Penguins and polar bears, Sand, slate, mud and chalk, Seashells, Beach crafts, Pirates and Mermaids, Marine Conservation – The 3Ps, plastic bags and marine litter.
These activities cover many of the statutory requirements of the Year 1 and 2 Programmes of Study for Science. They help introduce and look closely at some of the statements for Animals and Everyday Materials including…
- Identifying a variety of common animals
- Identify a variety of carnivores, herbivores and omnivores
- The structure of fish, reptiles, birds and mammals
- How habitats provide the basic needs of animals and plants
- Simple food chains
- Looking at different animals and their offspring (including egg and larval stages)
- Objects and the materials from which it is made
- Physical properties of a variety of materials
- Grouping and comparing materials
- The suitability of everyday materials for particular uses